Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, junior volunteer opportunities are not be available.
High School Students with a Heart for Helping
The University Health Junior Volunteer program gives high school students valuable experience working in a hospital during their summer break.
We’re looking for junior volunteers who believe in the University Health mission and want to help us carry it out. These volunteers are interested in the healthcare field and want to impact patients and visitors through meaningful service-learning projects. Junior volunteers will learn workplace skills they can use in the future.
Junior volunteers must be 15 to 17 years old at the time of application. Other requirements include:
- Commitment of 75 service hours between June and August
- Week of interactive educational sessions
- Interview and information session
- Availability to work Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- End-of-summer celebration attendance
Apply to Become a Junior Volunteer
Becoming a junior volunteer requires a commitment of time and a commitment to upholding our mission to provide the best care possible to our patients, families and community. All potential volunteers must complete each requirement of our application process.
Step 1. Application
An online application, all supporting documents and references must be submitted in order to be considered for a junior volunteer position.
New volunteers must submit an online application by the deadline. Returning volunteers must submit a returning junior volunteer application by the deadline. Applications will be posted when positions become open, and deadline dates will be announced.
These documents can be emailed separately to Volunteer Services. For alternate ways to submit documents, contact Volunteer.Services@uhs-sa.com.
Supporting documents include:
- A 750-word reflective essay
Your online application will include a URL link to send to three references, who must complete an online form recommending you for a junior volunteer position.
Request a reference from each of the following:
- A school counselor or administrator
- A core-subject teacher (English, math, science or social studies)
- A community leader or agency who can discuss your community and/or volunteer involvement within the past two years
Step 2. Interview and Health Screening
If you are selected as a junior volunteer, you will attend an interview, and you must pass a health screening. The screening includes a mini physical, a urine drug test, a tuberculosis (TB) skin test and a flu shot. Parents are required to attend an information session.
Please bring the following items to your health screening appointment:
- Photo identification
- A list of the medications you are currently taking, if any.
- Immunization records. If you do not have your records, a blood test may be performed to determine the presence of certain antibodies. The blood test is free of charge. If you don’t have the particular antibodies, you will be informed immediately. You may then get the vaccines, either from our staff at a cost, with your doctor, or at any of the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District offices.
Step 3. Orientation and Uniform
At the required orientation and training session, you’ll learn important information about the hospital and your responsibilities so you will feel confident about your role as a junior volunteer.
Important: If you would like parking privileges, please bring proof of vehicle registration and insurance.
Volunteer uniforms help visitors and patients recognize you as a hospital representative who can help when they have questions. Every volunteer wears a uniform that includes:
- Blue polo shirt with a volunteer patch (free for junior volunteers)
- Tan or khaki-colored pants
- Closed-toed shoes worn with ankle-length or longer socks (no-show socks are not permitted)
- Photo identification worn at chest level at all times
In addition to our gratitude, you will also receive small tokens of our appreciation for being an active volunteer. For more information, ask a Volunteer Services representative.
- Education courses
- Meal card program
- Free annual health screening and flu shot
- Discount VIA monthly pass
- And more!