How to Apply
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of our volunteer opportunities may not be available. Call 210-743-5730 for more information.
Your Roadmap to Becoming a Volunteer
We want to make it as easy as possible to volunteer at University Health. Here’s an outline of what you can expect throughout the application process and getting started volunteering with us.
Step 1: Application
Submit the online volunteer application form. Please allow 5-10 business days for us to process your application. We will conduct a background check. If you would like to become a specialty volunteer, please fill out the Specialty Volunteer Groups group-specific application form.
Step 2: Group InterviewGroup interviews are conducted online or in-person. In addition to helping us get to know the applicants, you also can share what motivated your desire to volunteer with University Health.
Step 3: Health Screening
You will get an appointment with the Employee Health Clinic, located at University Hospital at 4502 Medical Drive. The health screening involves a mini physical, a urine drug test, a tuberculosis (TB) skin test and a flu shot.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Driver's license or other photo identification
- A list of the medications you are currently taking, if any
- Immunization records. If you do not have your records, a blood test may be performed to determine the presence of certain antibodies. The blood test is free of charge. If you don’t have the particular antibodies, you will be informed immediately. You may then get the vaccines, either from our staff at a cost, with your doctor, or at any of the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District offices.
Important: The TB test requires a second visit, 48 hours after the test, to determine the results.
Step 4: Orientation, Badge, Parking, Uniform
This final step provides the tools you need for a successful and rewarding volunteer experience. Welcome to University Health!
- Complete the online orientation.
- Complete an onsite orientation of about an hour.
- Take a photo for your volunteer badge.
- Provide proof of vehicle registration and insurance to receive parking privileges.
- Purchase a uniform polo shirt from the Volunteer Office.