Chandraprakash Umapathy, MDGastroenterology
Eugenia Tsai, MDGastroenterology
Gregory Abrahamian, MDTransplant
Find education, resources and support from University Health before and after your kidney transplantation.
Visit our kidney care and dialysis page to learn more about your kidneys, their function and diseases and co-existing conditions that can damage your kidneys.
Kidney Transplant Patient Guide
Refer to the kidney transplant patient education guide that explains your transplantation steps or talk to your care team for personalized information about kidney transplantation.
Rely on your transplant social worker to support you and your family before and after a transplant. Social services include assistance with:
- Completing forms and letters
- Reducing stress and adjusting after transplant recovery
- Finding medication assistance programs
- Finding funding for healthcare coverage and benefits information
- Accessing needed services in your community
- Locating lodging for out-of-town patients
- Obtaining medical equipment and supplies
- Planning transportation to medical appointments
- Referring you to a home health agency
Lean on the Pastoral Care Services Department at University Health for spiritual and emotional support for you and your family.
Connect with others facing similar challenges and celebrating similar milestones.
For emotional support and transplant information, you can contact your transplant social worker at 210-567-5777.
Discover the University Transplant Institute social media spaces to share, learn and support others.
- University Transplant Institute Patient & Caregivers Facebook group
- University Transplant Institute Facebook page
Connect with an organ transplant recipient through our mentoring program. Your mentor can offer you valuable insight and perspective while you’re waiting for a transplant.
Transplant Patient Endowment Fund
Hundreds of transplant patients like you receive financial help during treatment from donations to our University Health Foundation Transplant Endowment Fund. Ask your transplant social worker about this fund if you need assistance.
Weight Loss & Nutrition
If your doctor advises you to eliminate extra weight in your lower abdomen to help you have a better transplant outcome, refer to our guide to help you reach your goal.
- Jumpstart Your Weight Loss – A Healthy Guide to Kidney Transplant
- Acelere Sun Perdida De Peso – Una Guba Saludable Para El Trasplante De Rinon
Online Organizations & Patient Resources
Take advantage of these resources to learn more about your kidneys and treatment options, including transplantation.
American Diabetes Association
National Kidney Foundation
Texas Kidney Foundation
Transplant Information & Organizations
OrganDonor.gov (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Texas Organ Sharing Alliance (TOSA)