When you need to have an operation, you want to know you’re in good hands. Your doctor’s expertise and experience make a big difference in getting the best outcome from your surgery. At University Health, we have a surgical team for dozens of specialties.
Best Surgical Teams Available in San Antonio
Surgery is always delicate. Our surgeons’ exceptional training means you get exceptional care. We have in-house doctors who consult with your surgical team at a moment’s notice. There’s no delay waiting for someone while you’re in the operating room.
University Health is an academic medical institution. That means we help train the next generation of doctors. In partnership with the UT Health San Antonio, we bring the brightest young doctors from around the world to San Antonio to train with our best. These future leaders in medicine bring fresh ideas, energy and, often, conduct research focused on new treatment.
We are leaders in surgery. We performed the first TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) surgery in the region and the first TEVAR (thoracic endovascular aneurysm repair) procedure in the region. Our doctors pioneered craniosynostosis and are among the only ones in the U.S. who perform this less invasive surgery. And our doctors invented the stent and performed the first stent procedure in Texas.
Convenience is Part of Our Care
When you’re going to have an operation, we make everything as easy as possible for you.
- Private patient rooms
- Your family can be with you as much as possible
- Our Patient Navigator program keeps your loved ones informed throughout your operation and recovery
- Your family can wait in comfortable lounges with free Wi-Fi
- Three convenient outpatient surgery centers to help you have your procedure and return home the same day
- Hospital at Home allows some of our Surgery patients to receive hospital-level care in their homes. Patients previously managed only during an inpatient hospital stay now have the option to be cared for in the comfort and convenience of their home. You will get in-person and virtual visits from trusted University Health professionals to support your care and recovery.
We make sure you receive the best care available while you’re with us.
Services we offer inpatient and outpatient surgical services for patients of all ages, from newborns to older adults. Our full range of surgical services includes:
- Bariatric surgery
- Breast cancer surgery
- Burn care surgery
- Cardiothoracic/vascular and endovascular surgery
- Ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Esophageal surgery
- Eye surgery (ophthalmology)
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Gynecology surgery
- Gynecologic oncology surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Interventional endoscopy
- Interventional radiology surgery
- Liver and pancreas surgery
- Lung surgery
- Oral surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Podiatry surgery
- Robot-assisted surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Transplant surgery
- Trauma and critical care surgery
- Urology surgery
Our nurses work closely with you before and after surgery to make sure you know how to prepare, what to expect and what to do after you go home. We call you a day or two after you go home to make sure you’re doing well.
Prepare for your inpatient surgery with important information:
We offer outpatient procedures such as biopsies, cyst removal, hernia repair and laparoscopic gallbladder removal. Prepare for your outpatient surgery with important information:
We offer robot-assisted surgery for minimally invasive procedures with the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System. Robotics help doctors operate with greater precision and control through tiny incisions. This minimizes the pain and risk associated with large incisions and increases the likelihood of the best outcome and a fast recovery.
Our state-of-the-art operating suites have the most technologically advanced equipment available. Our facilities include:
- Robot-assisted surgical systems
- Hybrid suites for cardiovascular and endovascular procedures
- In-suite CT scanning
- Videoconferencing so our surgeons can consult with specialists anywhere in the world
Our hospital has been designated a Level I trauma center by the American College of Surgeons. That means our trauma operating room is staffed 24/7, 365 days a year – because serious accidents and emergencies happen when you don’t expect them.