Rehabilitation medicine is an integral part of your progress toward optimal mobility and independence after surgery or an injury.
At University Health, we have several physiatrists on our rehabilitation team. A physiatrist is a medical doctor or a doctor of osteopathic medicine who specializes in rehabilitation.
Specialty Trained Doctors
All physiatrists are UT Health San Antonio providers, and are board-certified in rehabilitation medicine specialty. These physiatrists have additional specialty disease specific expertise and research interests that bring evidence-based care into our clinic.
You could see a physiatrist on an outpatient basis based on a referral from either a primary care physician or another specialist. You might also see a physiatrist if you are admitted in the hospital if a consultation is requested by the primary team taking care of you. Either way, the physiatrists will create a plan of care and make rehabilitation recovery related recommendations to assist in your recovery.
We’re certain you will appreciate the personalized care you get from a familiar team of providers who knows you and your family.
Specialty clinics at the Medical Center Pavilion:
- Our providers will help improve your function and mobility after damage to your muscles or bones
- May include referrals to rehabilitation therapy, orthotics or prosthetics fittings and pain management
EMG (electromyography) clinic
- Patients are often referred to the EMG clinic from neurology, orthopedics or their primary care doctor to assess nerve condition
Stroke and neuromuscular clinic
- Provides support for neuromuscular disorders like stroke, spinal cord injury and multiple sclerosis that affect your nerves and muscles
- Evaluates your functional ability and provides a personalized rehabilitation plan that may include referrals to rehabilitation therapy, orthotics & prosthetics or wheelchair assessment
Pediatric multidisciplinary clinic
- Providers at this clinic often work with the pediatric orthopedic trauma team and physical therapists in a multidisciplinary approach to improve function
- Assessment by specialists for spasticity issues with multiple options of treatment to include Botox
Post-COVID recovery clinic
- Assess and make treatment recommendations for long hauler COVID-19 patients who have physical, cognitive or functional difficulties
- Provides support after the amputation of a limb
- Providers at this clinic work with the orthotics and prosthetics & rehabilitation therapists to get you back to optimal mobility
Rehabilitation Medicine Conditions We Treat
Some of the many conditions our physiatrists can help you manage include:
- Carpal tunnel
- COVID-19 recovery
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries