Top Physicians & Nurses
Access pregnancy and birth care from well-known, expert doctors and practitioners thanks to our partnership with UT Health San Antonio doctors. Our nurses have Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. That means your care team has extra training and advanced capabilities to deliver high-quality patient care.
One of the Best Texas Hospitals for Moms & Babies
Depend on us for the highest-level pregnancy, childbirth and newborn care in San Antonio and South Texas. University Hospital is a Level IV Maternal Facility and has a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the highest care designations available. Feel confident you and your little one are getting the best possible care because we are one of the few hospitals in the region—within 23 surrounding counties—to provide this superior level of care. Other health care facilities transfer their maternal and neonatal patients to us because we have the broad expertise and specialized services needed for high-risk pregnancies or premature babies.
Learn more about our hospital and the team that will care for you and your baby in this video tour.
We look forward to caring for you as your family grows and excited to announce that we are “growing” too. Construction is underway for a new Women’s and Children’s Hospital at University Hospital. This one-of-a-kind facility will open in 2023, offering complete care for moms and babies, as well as sick and injured children.
All the Maternity Services You Need
- Free pregnancy tests at all outpatient women’s health clinics
- Expert OB-GYN doctors, maternal-fetal medicine specialists and certified midwives for prenatal care, and patient navigators to assist you throughout your pregnancy
- Prenatal care offices in convenient locations around San Antonio
- CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care program
- High-risk pregnancy care from maternal-fetal medicine specialists and perinatal coordinators who watch over your pregnancy and delivery
- OB-GYN Emergency Room for medical complications during pregnancy
- Hospital at Home allows some of our Pregnancy & Childbirth patients to receive hospital-level care in their homes. You will get in-person and virtual visits from University Health professionals you know and trust to support your care and recovery.
- Childbirth, newborn care and breastfeeding classes
- Labor and delivery care providing you with a comfortable, peaceful birthing experience in a private room with dedicated pain management specialists
- Breastfeeding help from friendly, certified lactation consultants
- Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), specialized setting to care for the health needs of sick or premature infants
- NICU Angel Eye ® and Baby Chat video programs
- University Hospital recognized as a Cribs for Kids National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep Hospital. The Cribs for Kids® National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification program awards recognition to hospitals that demonstrate a commitment to reducing infant, sleep-related deaths by promoting and educating on best safe sleep practices.
- Support services such as interpreters, financial assistance and community resources for a smooth transition home with your infant
- Nurse-Family Partnership program to help you have a healthy pregnancy and gain parenting experience if you’re an eligible first-time mother
- Perinatal palliative care for seriously ill newborns
- Zika virus and pregnancy care program
Choose a Prenatal Care Provider
If your free pregnancy test is positive, choose a knowledgeable and friendly pregnancy and childbirth expert who matches your preferences for prenatal care.
Complete High-Risk Specialty Care
Get comprehensive, specialized care if you or your developing baby have a medical complication during pregnancy. Our dedicated team of maternal-fetal medicine doctors, nurses and other trained support staff can provide high-risk pregnancy care for both of you. Get help managing chronic medical conditions or pregnancy-related illnesses like gestational diabetes or hypertension.
24/7 OB-GYN Emergency Room
Put your mind at ease knowing our team is available around the clock to provide superior care if you have a medical emergency during your pregnancy. A trained hospital transport team is also available if needed to bring you to University Hospital quickly and safely.
Working for a Healthy Pregnancy & Delivery
Imagine a healthy pregnancy and birth experience for all women in San Antonio. It’s not just something we think about at University Health—we’re making it a reality. Our community-minded doctors, nurses and staff teach and guide women, nurses and health care staff in the area, and our ongoing research makes pregnancy and newborn care better.
Your Pregnancy & Childbirth Care Team
Depending on your pregnancy needs, your University Hospital care team may include:
- Board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists (OB-GYNs)
- Board-certified maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- Board-certified neonatologists
- Certified midwives
- Registered nurses