Our surgical program is led by board-certified pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons who have 40 years of combined experience in pediatric heart care.
- Dr. John H. Calhoon is professor and chair of Cardiothoracic Surgery at UT Health San Antonio, and holds the president’s council chair for excellence in surgery. He is a Harvard trained pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon who has 30 years of experience. He is ably assisted by colleagues with a deep commitment to the Congenital Heart Program that have been a part of our team for decades.
- Dr. Ed Sako is division head of Cardiac Surgery at UT Health San Antonio.
- Dr. O. LaWayne Miller is professor and senior adult cardiac surgeon.
Our cardiology team consists of 5 pediatric cardiologists who provide innovative clinical care with a family-centered approach.
- Dr. Patrick Glasow is an associate professor of pediatrics in the Division of Cardiology at UT Health San Antonio.
- Dr. Elaine Maldonado-Campbell is the interim chief of Pediatric Cardiology and director of Pediatric and Fetal Echocardiography Services at UT Health San Antonio. In addition, she holds the Dr. Colette Kohler endowed chair in pediatric cardiology.
- Dr. Steven R. Neish is a professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio and staffs the only pediatric cardiology clinic in the city (located in University Hospital) associated with the National Pediatric Cardiology Quality Improvement Collaborative.
- Dr. Ashley Cooley is an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio.
- Dr. Eduardo Macias is an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio.