Comprehensive, Collaborative Care Focused on You
Our team works closely with other specialties when you have a condition or injury that requires the expertise of an oral surgeon. We often collaborate with other physicians – cancer, heart and transplantation specialists, for instance – to provide specialty dental care.
Trauma and accidents often result in injuries that require the expertise of an oral surgeon. As a Level I trauma center, University Hospital gives you access to emergency-trained oral surgeons and South Texas’ most advanced technology and facilities. Our partnership with UT Dentistry San Antonio also gives you access to quality dental and oral surgery services.
Conditions We Treat
- Congenital defects, such as cleft lip and cleft palate
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Injuries caused by trauma
- Jaw or facial bone fractures
- Mouth and jaw tumors or cysts
- Side effects caused by radiation, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplants
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
- Tooth infections
Treatments We Provide
Our experienced oral surgeons use the latest technology, such as an innovative navigation system that provides detailed 3-D images during surgery. This allows our surgeons to more precisely reconstruct broken bones.
- Biopsies of the mouth and tongue
- Corrective jaw surgery
- Dental implants
- Extractions prior to radiation, chemotherapy, heart surgery or transplant
- Full mouth extractions in preparation for dentures
- Incision and drainage of abscesses
- Reconstructive surgery
- Sedation dentistry, including nitrous oxide and IV sedation
- TMJ (jaw joint) treatment