Advanced Medical Care Before, During and After Surgery
Living with an ostomy can be challenging. It involves lifestyle changes and learning techniques about how to manage your ostomy. Our team of Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurses (WOC) who are specially trained and board certified in ostomy care are here to guide you, step by step, teaching you how to work with your new stoma and the appliance needed to make it work most efficiently and discreetly. For decades we have been helping patients with ostomy care in South Texas, Corpus Christi, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, Laredo and many other areas throughout Texas.
Our team will help you with:
- Carefully planning and marking your stoma position so you can better see the stoma and be able to take care of it yourself.
- Communicating with your physician to address any urgent questions after your procedure. Our nurses can easily reach your surgeon if you’re having an unexpected problem. They also help make outpatient clinical appointments.
- Postoperative counseling and guidance to you and your family members or caregivers on how to manage your new appliance.
- Minimizing the irritation of skin due to skin sensitivities
- Connecting to community resources that can help you with your recovery both emotionally and psychologically, such as the UOAA support groups.
Dietitian Consult and Other Support
A dietitian will meet with you and help you understand which foods are best for your recovery.
When you leave the hospital, you receive a month worth of supplies to help you get started with your new appliance. We also work with your insurance company to help ensure proper coverage for the items needed moving forward.