Talk to your doctor about any special preparation, whether you need to stop taking any medications before your endoscopy, and when to stop food and drink beforehand. Be sure you have another adult drive you home since you’ll have sedation medication.
As you arrive, you’ll change into a hospital gown and lie down on a stretcher/bed in a procedure room. When you’re ready, our team will follow these steps:
- Your doctor or a nurse will explain your procedure, answer questions and provide a consent form to sign.
- You will receive medication through an IV to relieve any pain and relax you before the procedure.
- You will remain conscious, but you may not even remember the procedure.
- We will position you for the procedure.
- You may feel mild bloating or cramping. Our experienced endoscopy team of doctors, nurses and endoscopy technicians will make sure you are comfortable.
Endoscopy takes about 15 to 30 minutes. You will stay with us for another 30 to 60 minutes afterward in a recovery area, and we will check your vital signs before you go home.
You will get the results of your endoscopy before you leave. If your doctor has removed tissue during the procedure for examination by the lab, you’ll receive those results from your referring doctor later. We recommend you recover at home for the rest of the day.