Devjit Tripathy, MDEndocrinology Internal Medicine
Jorge Velez Garza, MDEndocrinology
Scheherezada Urban McCarthy, MDEndocrinology
Trust the experts at University Health’s Texas Diabetes Institute to give you outstanding care. Our well-known diabetes and endocrinology doctors are specialists who apply the latest research to offer you innovative treatments.
Care Vision AdvantagesWork with a care team that believes in addressing your overall health, not just treating your condition. Your best health will come with thorough lifestyle planning and diabetes monitoring. We focus on supporting and empowering you and your family. Count on us to help you every step of the way.
About the Texas Diabetes Institute
When you choose to get care at the Texas Diabetes Institute, you’ll find the largest, most comprehensive center dedicated to diabetes prevention, treatment and research in the United States. The Institute, located in the heart of the west side, is known worldwide for expert doctors, researchers and staff who successfully integrating:
- Diabetes education
- Diabetes research
- Health and wellness promotion
- Specialty treatment
Our Research Improves Your Diabetes CareYou can help our research team prevent diabetes and find a cure by participating in ongoing research studies at the Texas Diabetes Institute.
What’s an Endocrinologist?Endocrinologists are doctors with specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases that affect glands, hormones and metabolism, including diabetes and thyroid conditions.
Diabetes SpecialistsIf you have diabetes, your primary care provider (PCP) may manage your condition. Or your PCP may refer you to an endocrinologist for complex or dedicated diabetes care.
Endocrinology Care Team
Seek care from specialized doctors and experienced bilingual staff members dedicated to working with you and other adult and pediatric patients with endocrine conditions. At the Texas Diabetes Institute, your team may include:
- Board-certified endocrinologists and physicians who meet nationally recognized standards for education, training and skills
- Certified diabetes educators who teach you self-care skills to manage diabetes
- Exercise physiologists who oversee your physical activity and exercise program
- Nurse case managers who ensure you and your family get the appropriate services and support
- Onsite licensed social workers and behavioral therapists who provide counseling for your social and emotional needs
- Patient-care technicians who tailor your dialysis prescriptions
- Registered nurses who provide your medical care
- Registered dietitians who guide you in choosing healthy foods
Several Specialists Work Together for You
You’ll benefit from our multidisciplinary team approach to diabetes treatment. This means you’ll receive care from a well-rounded team of specialists who will contribute their knowledge and expertise to your care when needed. Your multispecialty team can offer care and services for your:
Texas Diabetes Institute Executive Leaders
Learn about the administrative team guiding the Institute:
- Deputy Director, Ralph A. DeFronzo, MD
- Senior Vice President, Theresa De La Haya, RN, BSN, MPH
- Executive Director, Angela Casias, RN, MSN
- University Medical Associates, Medical Director Aruna Venkatesh, MD
- Medical Director of the Children's Center, Jane L. Lynch, MD
- Medical Director of Clinical Research, Eugenio Cersosimo, MD