Kidney Transplant Patient Guide & Resources
Discover how the University Health transplant care team can help make your child’s transplant journey less stressful for your family.
Pediatric Kidney Transplant Patient Guide
Patient and Family Resources
- Bilingual staff
- Financial counselors and assistance
- Language assistance services
- myUHS patient portal
Transplant Social Worker
Depend on your transplant social worker to support your family before and after a transplant. Social services include:
- Completing forms and letters
- Reducing stress and adjusting after transplant recovery
- Finding medication assistance programs
- Getting funding for healthcare expenses
- Understanding your insurance benefits information
- Accessing services in your community
- Locating lodging near the hospital if you’re from out of town
- Obtaining medical equipment and supplies
- Planning transportation to medical appointments
Chaplains at University Health can provide spiritual, emotional and religious guidance. Our Peveto Center for Pastoral Care is a quiet, welcoming place for people of all faiths and denominations. Call 210-358-4000 for services.
Connect with other parents, families and kidney transplant patients for emotional support. Contact your transplant social worker at 210-567-5777 to find a support group or go to our social media pages:
- University Transplant Institute Patient & Caregivers Facebook private group
- University Transplant Institute Facebook page
Transplant Patient Endowment Fund
If you need financial help during the transplant process, ask your transplant social worker about the University Health Foundation Transplant Endowment Fund.
Online Patient Resources
Look up online resources to learn more about kidney disease and organ transplant.
National Kidney Foundation
Texas Kidney Foundation
Transplant Information and Organizations
Pediatric Organ Donation (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
Texas Organ Sharing Alliance (TOSA)
Transplants for Children (San Antonio-based nonprofit organization)