Pediatric Sleep Disorders Care
Helping Children with Sleep Problems
Good sleep is essential for a child‘s healthy growth and can be a major concern for many parents. Sometimes, it can be very difficult for some children to get good sleep every night. Sleep problems are very common and can occur in about 25% of healthy children under 18. More than 60% of adolescents do not get enough sleep.
Dr. Karen Hentschel-Franks, a board-certified pediatric sleep medicine physician, leads our program. Our team of registered sleep technologists, a respiratory therapist and a medical assistant aim to provide the best treatment options for your child’s individual needs.
Pediatric Sleep Lab Program Highlights
- A comprehensive team including respiratory therapists, medical assistants and sleep lab technologists
- Collaboration with dozens of UT Health San Antonio pediatric specialists for patients with complex medical issues
- Hotel-based sleep labs at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Medical Center and Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio Market Square with 14 private rooms and access to all hotel amenities
- University Hospital-based sleep studies for hospitalized children with cognitive disabilities or complex medical conditions
Pediatric Sleep Conditions We Treat
Our comprehensive pediatric sleep programs addresses problems common to children and adolescents:
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Parasomnias (sleepwalking, nightmares, night terrors)
- Circadian rhythm sleep disorders
- Periodic leg movements
Help Your Child Get the Sleep They Need
Taking part in an overnight sleep study is the first step to understanding what is causing your child’s sleep disorder. University Children’s Health conducts sleep studies at three locations:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites San Antonio Medical Center
- Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio Market Square
- University Hospital (for children with complex illnesses or inpatient cases)
What Is a Sleep Study?
Sleep medicine specialists use sleep studies to diagnose a disorder in children. We offer sleep studies in hotel rooms to help your child feel more comfortable.
Services We Provide
Our sleep center performs sleep studies seven days a week. Please call our clinic at 210-358-5449 for more information.