Pediatric Kidney Disease & High Blood Pressure
Work with University Health kidney doctors to reduce your child's risk of developing high blood pressure with chronic kidney disease.
Kidney Disease & Hypertension in Kids
Complications of the kidneys not working right can happen over time. As chronic kidney disease gets worse, your child’s blood pressure may increase.
Visit our health library to learn more about high blood pressure in children and teens.
Signs of High Blood Pressure
Secondary high blood pressure often doesn’t cause any symptoms. Rely on University Children’s Health specialists to detect and treat high blood pressure early.
Checking and monitoring children for high blood pressure is important. Treatment for high blood pressure can:
- Prevent heart and vascular disease from developing later in life
- Prevent your child’s chronic kidney disease from getting worse
- Reduce high blood pressure
Pediatric Hypertension Program
Find individualized medical care and support services for kids and adolescents with high blood pressure due to chronic kidney disease or other causes such as obesity. Our multidisciplinary team includes specialty doctors, registered nurses, a dietitian, a pharmacist and a social worker.
Care & Treatment
Turn to our pediatric hypertension program for:
- Evaluation – Determines your risk for high blood pressure through a physical exam and by reviewing medical history
- Testing – Measures risk and diagnoses high blood pressure
- Nutrition counseling – Suggests lifestyle, diet, and eating habit changes to improve your child’s overall health
- Blood pressure monitoring
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring – Measures blood pressure continuously using a portable monitor to find patterns and detect different types of hypertension
- Home blood pressure monitoring – Monitors and measures blood pressure to help your child’s doctor determine how well treatments are working and predict the progression of chronic kidney disease
- Medication management – Uses medications to lower blood pressure and protect the kidneys