Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our Level IV NICU: Highest Level of Care for Preemies
Our Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) offers the highest level of care available in South Texas for infants. Our comprehensive team provides the expertise needed to care for babies in our state-of-the-art facilities using the most advanced treatments.
Our Neonatal Team
Our multidisciplinary neonatal team delivers the compassion and expertise your baby needs. Our Level IV NICU care team includes:
- Neonatologists specially trained in caring for and treating premature and sick infants
- Nurse practitioners trained in caring for newborns.
- Lactation consultants
- NICU pharmacist with years of experience in neonatal care.
- Pediatric and development specialists to care for your baby's developmental needs.
- Respiratory therapists staffed around the clock
- Dietitians from our Neonatal Nutrition and Bone Institute
Angel Eye: Video Communication with Your Infant
University Health is the only hospital in San Antonio to offer the Angel Eye program. This unique program allows parents who are not able to visit the hospital frequently to see and communicate with their infant through video. Angel Eye features:
- Secure camera system for you to view your newborn day or night
- Online accounts for anyone you designate to check in on your baby whenever they'd like
- Messaging to reach the care team, day or night
Baby Chat is available for mothers who are recovering after delivery and cannot visit the NICU. This technology allows mothers to see and hear their infant through an iPad.