Pediatric Complex Care
What Is Pediatric Complex Care?
The Comprehensive Care Clinic (CCC) at University Hospital is a primary care clinic dedicated to caring for children with complex medical conditions. This innovative medical home model, the first in South Texas, provides total care for children with challenging medical needs.
We seek to bring comprehensive care to each child, offering continuity and coordination while considering family needs for sibling and caregiver support. We celebrate each of our special patients and the family that loves them.
To schedule an appointment, please call 210-358-KIDS (5437).
Complex Care Goals
- Maximize the quality of life for children with complex chronic conditions and their families. We do this through individualized care planning and providing state-of-the-art family centered care.
- Promote the role of the child and family in medical decision making and care planning.
- Increase quality of care for children with complex chronic conditions in San Antonio and the South Texas region.
- Provide necessary services for complex chronically ill children not usually included in medical homes to include social work, expanded care coordination, child life and nutrition/dietary support.
- Collaborate with community agencies to provide hospice and end-of-life care when necessary.
Complex Conditions We Treat
- Life-limiting illness in which there is no probable cure, including cancer, lung disease and Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Chronic illness with three or more organ systems involved that require subspecialty support
- Technology dependence of two or more organ systems such as tracheostomy or gastrostomy
- Complex pain and symptom management