University Children’s Health Heart Center is collaboration between University Health and UT Health San Antonio, one of the nation’s leading academic programs.
One of the primary goals of University Children’s Health Heart Center is to support research and innovation to drive improvements in quality of care and outcomes for children with heart disease.
We are internationally known for our researchers, sought-after speakers and frequent publishers in medical journals and publications. Below, we highlight the national academic work, publications and speaking invitations of our heart care team.
- Calhoon JH, Pan H, Husain SA. Femoral Vein Homograft Right Ventricle to Pulmonary Artery Conduit: Is it all about the valve? Annals of Thoracic Surgery – accepted and in print
- Husain SA. Taking One Step Backwards to Go Two Steps Forward. Managing the Tricuspid Valve in the Surgical Closure of a Ventricular Septal Defect; Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2016;152(2):496-7
- Carroll ND, Beers K, Maldonado E, Calhoon JH, Husain SA. Novel Annular and Subvalvar Enlargement in Congenital Mitral Valve Replacement; Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016;102:3e277
- Weston C, Husain SA, Curzon C, Neish SR, Kennedy G, Bonagurio K, Gosselin, K. Improving outcomes for infants with single ventricle disease through standardized feeding during the inter-stage period; Journal of Pediatric Nursing 2016 Article ID 9505629
- Jacobs JP, He X, Mayer JE, Austin EH, Quintessenza JA, Kark TR, Vricella L, Mavroudis C, O’Brien SM, Pasquali SK, Hill KD, Husain SA, Overman DM, St. Louis JD, Han JM, Shahian DM, Cameron D, Jacobs ML. Mortality Trends in Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery: An Analysis of the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database; Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016 102(4): 1345-52
- Kane LC, Woodward C, Husain SA, Frei-Jones M. Thromboelastrography reduces transfusions in Pediatric Cardiac Surgery; Journal of Surgical Research 2016;200(1):21-7
- Wu, T et al. Therapeutic Hypothermia after out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children. N Engl J Med. 2015;14;372(20):1898-908
- Husain SA. The Continued Evolution of a Transformational Operation: New Options for Wrapping the Ross Autograft. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 2015 Vol. 149, Issue 4, p1142–1143
- Husain SA, Rahman M, Baisden C, Forgione D, Kane LC, Neish SR, Calhoon JH. Creating A “Value Index”: A Method to Compare Regional Programs Performing Congenital Heart Surgery. Journal of Health Care Finance, 2015;42:1
- Maldonado E, Gomez C. The Value of Experience: Rare Combination of Pseudo- Pulmonary artery Sling and Double Outlet Right Ventricle Diagnosed by Pre-Operative Transthoracic Echocardiography. Poster presentation at the 28th Annual American Society of Echocardiography Conference, Baltimore, MD
- Husain SA, Fullerton D. Aortic Root Enlargement Techniques: Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) 52nd Annual Conference. Phoenix, AZ. Jan 27, 2016
- Pizzuto M, Patel M, Romano J, Retzloff L, Yu S, Lowery R, Gelehrter S. Interstage Outcomes for Single Ventricle Infants Based on Type of Initial Palliation. Poster presentation at the 2016 Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society 12th annual international meeting, Miami, FL
- Jacobs JP, Mayer JE, Austin EH, Quintessenza JA, Karl TR, Vricella L, Mavroudis C, O’Brien SM, Pasquali SK, Hill KD, Husain SA, Overman DM, Han JM, Shahian DM, Cameron D, Jacobs ML. Mortality Trends in Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery: An Analysis of the STS Congenital Heart Surgery Database – Southern Thoracic Surgical Association – 62st annual meeting, Orlando, FL Nov. 5–8, 2015
- Joseph H, Ryan C, Fancher WN, Kane LC, Das NA, Husain SA, Northrup W, Calhoon JH. Understanding Pulmonary Valve Architecture and Variation: Implications for the Ross Procedure – Southern Thoracic Surgical Association – 62st annual meeting, Orlando, FL Nov. 5–8, 2015
- Husain SA Right Ventricular Outflow Tract – Anatomy, Physiology and Surgical Approaches. AQO – STS Database Managers Conference. San Antonio, TX Oct. 21, 2015
- Maldonado E Congenital Heart Disease: Collaborating for Improved Care. San Antonio Military Health System and Universities Research Forum, July 24, 2015
- Husain SA. Disparities in the Delivery of Surgical Care For Congenital Heart Disease: The Importance of Teamwork in the Operating Room: American Association for Surgical Technologists Annual Conference. San Antonio, TX. May 15, 2015
- Brown JW, Husain SA. Aortic Root Enlargement