Meet Our Heart Team
University Children’s Health Heart Center offers your child best-practice congenital cardiac care with an empathy and kindness that families want and our patients deserve. Our Heart Center offers some of the best outcomes in the nation, and we believe that’s due to the exceptional skill level of our multidisciplinary pediatric cardiac specialists, as well as our dedication to treating each patient as family.
Pediatric Heart Surgeons
Our surgical program is led by board-certified pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons who have 40 years of combined experience in pediatric heart care.
- Dr. John H. Calhoon is professor and chair of cardiothoracic surgery at UT Health San Antonio, and holds the president’s council chair for excellence in surgery. He is a Harvard-trained pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon who has 30 years of experience. He is assisted by colleagues with a deep commitment to the Congenital Heart Program that have been a part of our team for decades.
- Dr. Aaron M. Abarbanell is an associate professor and chief of pediatric cardiac surgery at the Pediatric Heart Center.
Our cardiology team consists of five pediatric cardiologists who provide innovative clinical care with a family-centered approach.
- Dr. Ginnie Abarbanell is the chief of pediatric cardiology at the Pediatric Heart Center in San Antonio.
- Dr. Elaine Maldonado-Campbell is the director of pediatric and fetal echocardiography Services at UT Health San Antonio. In addition, she holds the Dr. Colette Kohler endowed chair in pediatric cardiology.
- Dr. Steven R. Neish is a professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio and staffs the only pediatric cardiology clinic in the city (located in University Hospital) associated with the National Pediatric Cardiology Quality Improvement Collaborative.
- Dr. Ashley Cooley is an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio.
- Dr. Eduardo Macias is an assistant professor of pediatrics at UT Health San Antonio.