- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Board Affiliation/Certification
- American Board of Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Universidad Autonoma De Guadalajara, 2010
- University of Illinois at Chicago Medical College, 2014
- University of Texas Health Science Center, 2017
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Medical Director for Pediatric Endocrinology
- Assistant Fellowship Director for Pediatric Endocrinology
- I am board-certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology by the American Board of Pediatrics. I joined the UT Health San Antonio faculty in 2017 in pursuit of research interests related to maternal and fetal nutrition as well as body composition. I enjoy mentoring and engaging medical students, residents and fellows in all aspects of pediatric endocrine and diabetes care and have an active portfolio of clinical research projects.
- I currently serve as the Medical Director for the Children’s Center at the Texas Diabetes Institute and serve on the Mayor's Fitness Council as well as the Director of Project Power Up. Project Power is an independent diabetes prevention camp that works in conjunction with the American Diabetes Association and other community partners to prevent youth onset Type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Research Interests:
- Epigenetics of childhood obesity
- Body composition assessments in infants of diabetic mothers
- Health literacy
- Childhood obesity prevention
- Medical education
- I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling and learning to play the cello.
- Orsi C, Rayas M, Escaname E, Hutchins, J. Chapter.8: Pediatric Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Recent Advances in Pediatric Medicine Synopsis of General Pediatric Practice. 2017. p. 105-116..
- Escaname EN..The "Pea Pod" and it`s Use for Evaluating Body Composition in Infants of Obese and Diabetic Mothers American Academy of Pediatrics The Section on Endocrinology Newsletter 2017 Oct; Fall..
- Arslanian S, El Ghormli L, Haymond MH, Chan CL, Chernausek SD, Gandica RG, Gubitosi-Klug R, Levitsky LL, Siska M, Willi SM; TODAY Study Group. (J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas).Beta cell function and insulin sensitivity in obese youth with maturity onset diabetes of youth mutations vs type 2 diabetes in TODAY: Longitudinal observations and glycemic failure. Pediatr Diabetes. 2020 Jun;21(4):575-585. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12998. Epub 2020 Mar 3. PMID: 32064729..
- Shah R, McKay SV, Levitt Katz LE, El Ghormli L, Anderson BJ, Casey TL, Higgins L, Izquierdo R, Wauters AD, Chang N; TODAY Study Group.(J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas) .Adherence to multiple medications in the TODAY (Treatment Options for type 2 Diabetes in Adolescents and Youth) cohort: Effect of additional medications on adherence to primary diabetes medication. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2020 Feb 25;33(2):191-198. doi: 10.1515/jpem-2019-0315. PMID: 31809265..
- Kaar JL, Schmiege SJ, Drews K, Higgins J, Walders-Abramson N, Isganaitis E, Willi SM, Marcus MD, Zeitler PS, Kelsey MM..Evaluation of the longitudinal change in health behavior profiles across treatment groups in the TODAY clinical trial. (J Lynch, E Escaname, M Rayas) Pediatr Diabetes. 2020 Mar;21(2):224-232. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12976 PMID: 31886931..
- Hutchins J, Barajas RA, Hale DE, Escaname EN, Lynch JL..Type 2 diabetes in a 5 year old and single center experience of Type 2 diabetes in youth under 10. Pediatric Diabetes 2017 Nov;18(7):674-677..
- Byron A. Foster, Elia Escaname, Theresa L. Powell, Benjamin Larsen, Sartaj K. Siddiqui, John Menchaca, Christian Aquino, Rajam Ramamurthy and Daniel E. Hale..Randomized Controlled Trial of DHA Supplementation during Pregnancy: Child Adiposity Outcomes Nutrients 2017 Jun;9(6)..
- Alvaro Moreira, Rachel Jacob, Libby Lavender, Elia Escaname..Metabolic Bone Disease of Prematurity. NeoReviews 2015 Nov;16(11):e631-e641..
- Escaname, E. N., Jacob, R. L., Penon, C., Anzueto, D., Alana, N., Carr, N. & Blanco, C. .Higher Percent Body Fat in Infants of Diabetic Mothers vs. Healthy Term Infants in a Largely Hispanic Population. In DIABETES. 2017, June (Vol. 66, pp. A639-A639)..