Pediatric Trauma & Burn Center
Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
University Children’s Health operates the only Level I pediatric trauma center in South Texas and is verified by the American College of Surgeons. This designation, along with our Level I adult trauma center designation allows us to treat the most seriously injured children and their parents when the family is involved in a car crash. We are the only center in South Texas that can treat the entire family.
Along with our partners at UT Health San Antonio, we’ve demonstrated our expertise in taking care of seriously injured children. When you bring your child to us, you’ve chosen a medical network of doctors who continually find new and better ways to treat severely injured or burned children.
Injuries are the leading cause of death among children, more than all diseases and disorders combined. Our pediatric trauma team provides care for nearly 2,000 children in Bexar County and South Texas every year. When something unexpected happens to your child, it’s important to know where to go.
The faster your child receives treatment, the better the outcome. Survival rates increase by 25% when children receive care at a pediatric trauma center due to its full range of specialists, subspecialists and technology. Our facilities have the appropriate resuscitation equipment, pediatric imaging and diagnostic procedures.
A Level I designation tells you we’re equipped and highly trained to handle any medical emergency. Our advanced medical teams and trauma surgeons provide life-saving care 24/7. In a time of crisis, you want your child in the right hands.
What to Expect
When you arrive at University Hospital, we go into action, quickly assessing major injuries and strategizing with multiple medical experts to give your child the best chance for the fullest recovery possible. Children we treat have the benefit of a team of doctors and nurses who communicate and work closely with one another – all toward the goal of improving your child’s condition. You can expect the following:
- Immediate evaluation by the trauma team
- Lab work and imaging
- Communication to you about your child’s injuries and a medical plan of action
- Based on the extent of the injuries, your child will:
- Be admitted to the hospital
- Go directly to the operating room
- Be released to go home
Pediatric Critical Care Specialists Are Here to Help
We handle trauma due to car accidents, falls or any scenario that results in severe injury to the head or body. Our team members include:
- Pediatric trauma surgeons
- Pediatric critical care specialists
- Pediatric neurosurgeons
- Pediatric orthopedic surgeons
- Pediatric ophthalmologists
- Plastics and reconstructive surgeons
- Pediatric otolaryngologists
- Pediatric urologists
- Pediatric radiologists
- Pediatric psychologists and psychiatrists
- Pediatric rehabilitation medicine
- Child life specialists - help kids manage the stress of being hurt and in a hospital
- Injury prevention specialists - help families learn about common causes of injury
- Certified car seat technicians - help families correctly install car seats/boosters
Our Community Trauma Report shows the type of injuries we treat in both children and adults. Read the report and learn about areas of concern. We are committed to finding new and innovative ways to save lives.