Pediatric Transplant Care
At University Health, our transplant team focuses on treating life-threatening children’s diseases. You will work with compassionate, experienced transplant care teams that understand your child’s needs.
High-Quality, Advanced Transplant Care
Our established transplant program will provide the best possible outcome for a better, healthier life for your child. We are the only pediatric transplant program in South Texas with the expertise to deliver advanced transplant care.
Center of Excellence Recognition
University Health is a designated transplant Center of Excellence. Our specialized transplant staff provides high-quality care to meet all of your child’s needs.
Pediatric Transplant Successes
When you look at our transplant program, you will see why doctors refer their patients to us. We have:
- Patient survival rates at one year that have met or exceeded national expectations
- Pediatric kidney transplant one-year survival rate of 100%
- Pediatric liver transplant one-year survival rate of 100%
- Kidney and liver programs with short- and long-term outcomes above the national average
- Only pediatric living donor liver program in South Texas
- One of the largest pediatric liver transplant programs in Texas
View our most recent pediatric patient outcomes on the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients website.
Types of Pediatric Transplants
Find comprehensive, high-quality transplant care for your child’s:
If you are a physician, you may refer your patient to our transplant program for an evaluation.
If you’re a parent, you may refer your child. Call the Transplant Institute at 210-567-5777 to talk about the steps to follow.
Your Child’s Transplant Journey
We know the pediatric transplant process can be stressful. Trust our transplant care team to provide personalized care for your child and support for your whole family. Our transplant program offers you and your child patient-centered care, including:
- Connections to education and resources for families before, during and after transplant
- Continuum of care with your referring pediatric specialist
- Dedicated Champion for Life Program to help you find a living donor
- Living donor kidney and liver transplants to speed up the transplant process for your child
- Options for split and whole liver transplants to fit your child’s organ transplant needs
- Research and clinical trials to expand and advance transplant care for your child and other patients
- Support services, financial counselors and social workers to help you navigate the process
Multidisciplinary Medical Team
You can expect exceptional transplant care from a team that takes a multidisciplinary approach to care. The team you work with will have kidney, liver and surgical specialists working together. Because we are an academic medical center, University Health has access to medical and surgical specialists to consult on your child’s care.
Support Organ Donation and Transplantation
Learn how to help patients in need of a transplant by becoming an organ donor.
Donate to one of our University Health Foundation transplant funds to help pediatric transplant patients.
Contact University Health for a second opinion to review your child’s diagnosis and transplant recommendation. We want you to be confident in your child’s care plan.