Frequently Asked Questions


Q: I am separated and would like to apply for CareLink; what proof of income do I need to bring?

A: You need to bring both you and your spouse's proof of income to the enrollment appointment. If you are divorced, instead of your spouse's proof of income, please bring your final divorce decree.

Q: Will you call me to remind me of my CareLink appointment?

A: You will receive a reminder call by an automated system 48 hours before your CareLink enrollment appointment.

Q: What happens if I do not go to my doctor's appointment?

A: It may result in an additional charge on your account. Please be on time for all your appointments (with your doctor, CareLink representative, specialty clinics, and other) or call at least 24 hours in advance of any cancellations. Your CareLink membership may also be cancelled if you repeatedly fail to keep your appointments.


Q: Can I add my 20 year old son/daughter to my CareLink account?

A: Only if you provide proof of your son/daughter is being claimed as your dependent on your income tax. Also, if your son/daughter is attending school, you will need to provide school documents with your son's/daughter's name and address.

Q: When I renew my CareLink contract, will my balance carry over to the new contract?

A: Yes.

Automatic Check Withdrawal

Q: I was signed up for Automatic Check Withdrawal through CareLink and I still receive a bill statement in the mail. Do I still need to pay the bill?

A: No, once you have been set up with Automatic Check Withdrawal, your monthly payment will be withdrawn from your checking account. The bill statement is to inform you about your monthly account activity. For more information about the Automatic Check Withdrawal, please call the Members Services Line at 210-358-3350.

Bill Statements & Payments

Q: If I do not receive a CareLink bill statement, do I have to make a monthly payment anyway?

A: Yes, as long as you have a balance, you have the responsibility to make your monthly payments on time, regardless if your contract is expired or if the mail got lost. If you have an unpaid balance, you will not be able to re-enroll. If your address has changed, please bring proof of your new address to your local CareLink office (you cannot update your address by phone).

Q: Can I make my CareLink monthly payment with a credit card over the phone?

A: Yes, by calling 210-358-3353. Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Q: Can I use CareLink when I travel out of town?

A: No, CareLink can only be used at University Health clinics and University Hospital in Bexar County.

Q: What happens if I stop making my payment and still have a balance?

A: You risk losing your CareLink benefits and your account being sent to a collection agency.

Q: Do I still owe the balance on my CareLink account if I do not re-enroll?

A: Yes. As a member, you have the responsibility to pay your complete balance. Even if your contract expires, you will have up to 4 years to pay the complete balance. If you fail to make your payments, then your account may be sent to a collection agency.

For additional information to these questions or any additional questions, please call us at 210-358-3350 or e-mail us at

PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. You can download Acrobat Reader for free from Adobe's Web site. Please follow the link below to download the program.

get adobe reader