Be sure to make a list of the things you and your family need to do before you leave the hospital:
- Arrange transportation home
- Pack your personal belongings
- Retrieve any valuables from the hospital safe in the Admissions Office
- Take any medications, vitamins or herbs you brought from home
- Leave a forwarding address for mail
- Make financial arrangements regarding payment of your bill
- Check with your nurse concerning any special instructions for your care at home
- Confirm date, time and location of follow-up appointments
It’s important to follow any discharge instructions from your nurse or physician for continued quality healthcare at home. If you have specific discharge requests or needs, please tell your nurse. We will help make any arrangements as needed and provide you with:
- Necessary medical supplies and equipment
- Verbal and written discharge instructions concerning appointments, medications and prescriptions
Prescriptions for discharge medications may be filled at the hospital's Outpatient Pharmacy or a pharmacy of your choice.
- Our Outpatient Pharmacy is located in University Hospital, first floor, in the Rio Tower, past the B Elevators.
- University Health pharmacies are conveniently located around San Antonio.
Patients who are treated in our Emergency Department can get prescriptions filled at our After-Hours Pharmacy located on the ground floor, in the Rio Tower, D Elevators.