Return to University Health's Homepage.

Clinicals & Internships

Clinicals & Internships

Teaching the Next Generation

University Health provides health care students with the required work-learning experience in an academic medical center environment. Students are guided, supervised and evaluated while gaining practical skills. Professionally trained clinical instructors at University Health and faculty from UT Health San Antonio engage students using a collaborative approach involving patients, interdisciplinary practitioners, administrators and academic staff.

We accept students only from partners on our current list of affiliated schools. To place a student at University Health, a school representative, faculty member or coordinator must complete all items on the school coordinator checklist.

Before You Begin

What is an Internship?

An internship is about clinical experiences that:

  • Are completed as part of a college or university course
  • Are supervised by a college instructor/faculty member
  • Require students to practice skills or complete projects related to the students' course of study

If you are seeking to observe a job position, or a department within the hospital, you may be able to volunteer. Please contact Volunteer Services so they can determine if your area of interest is accepting volunteers.

Eligibility Requirements

  1. You must currently be enrolled as a student. If you are not a student but interested in gaining observation hours or exposure to the health care environment, please consider becoming a volunteer.
  2. Your school must already have an affiliation agreement with us.
    • If your school is not on the list, ask your school coordinator to see if your school meets the criteria to establish an agreement.
    • If your school is on the list, but the agreement does not include your academic program, ask your school coordinator to see if it’s possible to add your program.
  3. Your school must be able to verify that you have:
    • Basic health insurance
    • Up-to-date immunizations
  4. Immunizations
    Before you can begin an Internship, students must submit proof of the following to their school coordinator:
    • Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis): within last ten (10) years
    • Measles: two vaccinations or serologic confirmation of immunity
    • Mumps: two vaccinations or serologic confirmation of immunity
    • Rubella: one vaccination or serologic confirmation of immunity
    • Tuberculosis: negative skin test or negative chest x-ray within last 12 months
    • Varicella: two vaccinations or serologic confirmation of immunity
    • Hepatitis B: three immunizations plus serologic confirmation of immunity
    • Influenza: immunization for current flu season
      • Fall semester – not required until after the current season's flu shot becomes available, due October 31
      • Spring semester – due before the students begin, like all of the above immunizations
      • Summer semester – not required

How It Works

Step 1 – Find an Approved Placement

Nursing & Allied Health (Medical Assistant, EMT, Surgical Tech, Etc.)

Your school coordinator should contact University Health to request placement for you. If you have any questions, please contact

Students Completing an Internship Who Don’t Fall Into Above Categories

Work with your school coordinator to find preceptor or host unit/department. To find the director of unit/department, please call 210-358-4000.

For featured internships, please visit Internship Opportunities.

Have the following information ready:

  • Expected beginning and ending dates
  • Number of hours per week (or an approximate schedule)
  • Types of interactions and activities your course requires such as observing patients or interviewing staff
  • School name
  • Academic Program/discipline name
  • Qualifications or credentials your preceptor should have (for example, you might need to be paired with someone who has a master’s degree or a specific license)
  • Confirmation that you have made sure your school (and program, if applicable) has an existing affiliation agreement in place 

Step 2 – Notify Your School, if Necessary

If your school coordinator arranged your placement, skip this step.

If you have found a preceptor, your school needs the following information before you can move forward:

  • Name of preceptor
  • Name of host unit or department
  • Location at which you will complete your internship/rotation
  • Beginning and end dates (shift times, if applicable)

Step 3 – Get Prepared

  1. Inform your school coordinator when you have finished reviewing University Health orientation materials
  2. Make sure your school coordinator has proof that you have:
    • Basic health insurance
    • Up-to-date immunizations
  3. Follow school coordinator’s instruction about what comes next. Procedures vary depending on your school and program. If your school coordinator is not sure what to do, please refer them to
  4. Consider your parking options: (your school coordinator has details)
    • Hospital Patient/Visitor parking areas: Best if you will only be at University Hospital for a few days. Obtain a ticket when you enter, pay when you exit. Maximum charge is $8 per day.
    • Hospital Staff garage: Best if you will be at the Hospital often. University Health ID badge costs $10.
    • Crossroads Park-and-Ride: Parking is free. Quick bus ride to University Hospital.
    • All other locations: Park in the patient areas furthest from main entrance, as a courtesy to our patients and families.
    • Parking and ID badge information