It's supposed to be chilly this weekend. What's better than enjoying a bowl of soup while it's cold outside? This diabetic-friendly cream of vegetable soup will be sure to warm you up.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 10
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
1 green zucchini, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, cut in 4 pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (16 oz.) bag of frozen broccoli, thawed
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups 1% milk
2 Tbsp. of light butter
2 tsp. low sodium and low-fat chicken bouillon
½ tsp. ground pepper
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ of a jalapeño, seeded and sliced
½ cup of cilantro, chopped for garnish
5 cups of water
1. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in light butter for 1 minute.
2. Add bell pepper and tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add broccoli, jalapeño, potatoes, zucchini, carrots, water and cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
4. When the soup has cooled, purée the vegetable soup in small batches in a blender.
5. Return blended soup to the saucepan and add the milk, chili powder, pepper, chicken bouillon, cumin and mix well. Reheat on low heat before serving.
Total carbohydrate: 15 g
Dietary fiber: 3 g
Protein: 4 g
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Sodium: 180 mg