Growing to meet the needs of South Texas
Planning has begun for a new Women’s & Children’s Tower at University Hospital
Expected to open in 2022, the new tower is the second phase of University Health System’s historic Capital Improvement Program.
The project features:
- A new tower dedicated to serve the unique health needs of women, babies and children
- Heart, vascular and advanced endoscopy suite in the Sky Tower (opening 2020)
- New parking structure
- Additional shell space for future growth
- An estimated cost of $475 million with NO tax rate increase
A Place for Compassionate, Quality Care
The Women & Children’s Tower will offer state-of-the-art medicine close to home and will be a place where:
- Care is provided in ways that foster collaboration and communication
- Patients and families feel respected
- A caring community is built on empathy, support and compassion
Please visit Women & Children's Tower to enlarge the photo and view the details.
Delivering Excellence for Moms and Babies
As an academic medical center, we are uniquely prepared for high-risk deliveries and complications. We are one team of maternal, neonatal and pediatric specialists caring for mother and baby through every step of the pregnancy.
Our new tower will feature special amenities for moms and babies including:
- Dedicated OB/GYN Emergency Department
- Large, private labor and delivery suites
- Dedicated OB/GYN operating suites
- Highest level NICU connected to our Labor & Delivery Unit
- Lounge for extended families to wait
- Spacious, private inpatient rooms
- Plenty of space for a family member to stay in the room overnight
- Mom’s sleeping suite for mothers who return to the NICU to breastfeed babies
- Family Living Centers
Big Plans for Our Tiniest Patients
When a baby is born too soon or with a serious congenital condition, our Level IV Neonatology team is here to provide the care needed.
Our new NICU will include:
- Single-family rooms arranged in pods to optimize quality, comfort and efficiency
- Space for family member to stay overnight and a warm welcoming environment to promote healing and bonding
- Advanced treatments and diagnostic tools
- Family center with lounge and educational resources
For Sick and Injured Children
At University Hospital, our pediatric specialists are here to provide the comprehensive, quality care your sick or injured child needs.
Our new Women’s & Children’s Tower will feature:
- Dedicated Children’s Emergency Department
- Over-sized kid-friendly private rooms
- Pediatric Rehab Gym
- Family Resource Centers
- Family-friendly nutrition stations on every unit
- ChildLife Center with a theatre, movie lounge, game room and indoor playground
University Health System is committed to meeting the needs of our growing community to ensure access for all to the high quality, affordable care they need and deserve.