Awards & Recognitions
University Health is recognized as a three-time Magnet health care organization by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. As a Magnet hospital, University Health attracts the best and brightest health care talent from around the nation. This gives you the peace of mind that you are being cared for by a team with a proven track record of success.
The American Nurses Credentialing Center specifically praised:
- University Health’s Nurse Residency Program
- Nurse Family Partnership Program
- Nursing participation on the University Health ethics committee
The American Nurses Credentialing Center first recognized University Health in 2010 and renewed the designation in November 2020 for another four years. Only 8% of hospitals in the U.S. enjoy this recognition.
AMSN PRISM Award
University Hospital’s 12 MSU and 10th Floor Sky Tower nursing units were awarded the PRISM Award. PRISM stands for Premier Recognition In the Specialty of Med-surg.
This award was presented by:
- The Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses
- Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Board
Our nursing units exhibited:
- Recruitment and retention of effective staff members
- Care based on evidence
- Positive patient outcomes
- Positive work environment
- Continual education of unit nurses
When a medical-surgical nurse at University Health cares for you, you can be certain you are getting trusted, awarded care.
Beacon Award for Excellence
The medical intensive care unit nursing staff earned the silver Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
This award recognizes our ICU nursing staff for:
- Leadership structures
- Hiring and retaining quality nursing talent
- Effectively communicating in an ICU environment
- Providing care based on evidence
- Measuring patient outcomes
Level I Trauma Center
University Hospital and University Children’s Hospital are Level I trauma centers.
- Certified by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma
- Specialists on-hand 24/7 to treat any injury
Level I status provides you with:
- General surgeons available 24 hours
- Specialty surgeons like orthopedic, neurosurgery, radiology, oral and internal medicine available 24 hours
- Education in the San Antonio community about injury prevention
- Substance abuse screening and intervention programs
- Referrals for resources in surrounding communities
We can provide the highest quality care to children and adults across a 22-county region of South Texas.
Certified Comprehensive Stroke Center
The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association certified University Health as a comprehensive stroke center. As a comprehensive stroke center, we can provide:
- Treatment for the most complex stroke cases
- Specialized diagnostic options
- Advanced treatment options
- Dedicated neuroscience ICU
- Staff trained specifically to treat stroke patients
University Health also works with other comprehensive stroke centers across the U.S. to set an example for stroke care.
Level IV Epilepsy Center
The South Texas Comprehensive Epilepsy Center is the only Level IV epilepsy center in San Antonio. This is made possible by a partnership between University Health and UT Health San Antonio.
Level IV is the highest designation for an epilepsy center and was awarded by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
As a Level IV epilepsy center, we can provide:
- Complex diagnostic and treatment options
- A broad range of surgical procedures
- Advanced medical, dietary, and surgical therapies
- Inpatient and outpatient diagnostic tests
- The opportunity to take part in clinical trials
Level IV Maternal Facility
University Hospital is San Antonio’s first Level IV Maternity Center. The Texas Department of State Health Services awarded University Health this distinction, the highest a health facility can earn.
As a Level IV maternal facility, you can count on us to provide critical services including:
- Early detection and diagnosis for conditions that may put a pregnant woman at risk
- Continuing education opportunities for our maternal medical staff
- The capability to perform major surgery onsite
- Critical care physicians onsite to work with maternal fetal medicine physicians and/or obstetrics and gynecology physicians on complex cases
Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
The Texas Department State Health Services also recognized University Hospital as a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. As a Level IV NICU, we can provide necessary services for you and your baby, including:
- Comprehensive care of critically ill infants of all gestational ages
- The capability to perform onsite surgery at any time, including emergency C-section
- Pediatric surgical subspecialists available to consult with families onsite
- Perinatal and neonatal nutritionists who can plan a diet to meet your baby’s needs
Age-Friendly Health System
The Institute for Healthcare Improvement recognizes University Hospital as an Age-Friendly Health System. University Health earned this award by aligning our patient care with the Institute's four Ms:
- What Matters: Tailoring our care to each individual’s preferences and goals, including end-of-life care
- Medication: Using age-friendly medication that does not interfere with the older adult’s preferences, mobility or mental acuity
- Mentation: Identifying, preventing and treating signs of mental decline, like dementia and depression
- Mobility: Helping older adults stay mobile and keep doing what matters
We are proud to provide evidence-based, compassionate care for adults of all ages at University Health.
Age-Friendly Health Systems is an initiative of The John A. Hartford Foundation and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement in partnership with the American Hospital Association and the Catholic Health Association of the United States.
U.S. News & World Report
University Hospital and University Children’s Hospital consistently ranks in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals. In 2020, University Hospital ranked #19 in Texas.
In 2020, University Hospital ranked “High performing” in:
- Colon cancer surgery
- Heart failure care
- Heart bypass surgery
University Hospital also scored “Excellent” in:
- Advanced cancer, nephrology, neurology and urology technologies
- Cancer, nephrology, rehabilitation and urology patient services
- Discharging patients to home after cancer treatment
You can be confident that your health care team has the experience and ability to treat you and your family, no matter what you are facing.
Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award
University Health earned the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association’s “Get With the Guidelines – Stroke Gold Plus Award” and “Target: Stroke Elite Plus Award.”
This recognition means that our team of doctors and nurses went above and beyond in treating people with strokes. Our medical staff consistently administered medicine to dissolve clots and improve blood flow for people with strokes.
If you have a stroke, you can trust University Health to provide the most streamlined, efficient care in San Antonio.
American Heart Association Excellence in Heart Care
In 2017, University Health was recognized by the American Heart Association as a Mission: Lifeline STEMI Receiving Center – Silver Achievement Award hospital. This award recognizes our dedication to providing you with the latest treatment options for better outcomes after a heart attack.
Certified Cardiac Rehabilitation
The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation certified University Health’s cardiovascular rehabilitation program. This certification recognizes the quality of care provided when you enter our Reeves Rehabilitation Center.
Palliative Care Certification
University Health is certified in providing palliative care from The Joint Commission. We are the third health care organization in Texas to achieve this.
Palliative care involves:
- A team of doctors, nurses and specialists who relieve your pain
- A holistic approach to improving your quality of life
- Caring for your physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs
This award recognizes University Health’s excellence in being able to provide palliative care to patients of all ages.
MI Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award
University Health has received the American College of Cardiology’s NCDR Chest Pain – MI Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award for 2021. We are proud to be one of only 212 hospitals nationwide to earn this recognition.
The designation means University Health provides a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies that our team has reached an aggressive goal of treating these patients following the science-based national guidelines outlined by the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association.
To receive the Chest Pain – MI Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award, University Health has demonstrated sustained achievement for two consecutive years (2019 and 2020).
Antimicrobial Stewardship Program – Pharmacy
University Health pharmacies implemented the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program in 2019. This initiative aligns with the Texas Department of State Health Services’ goal of improving patient outcomes by using antimicrobials.
The mission of University Health’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Program is to promote optimal patient care and reduce the likelihood of antimicrobial resistance by using evidence-based guidance for the effective, safe and judicious use of antimicrobials.
American Association for Respiratory Care APEX Recognition Award
The University Health Pediatric Critical Care Transport Team earned the Apex Recognition Award in January 2021. The American Association for Respiratory Care recognizes health facilities that have shown an elite level of respiratory care, therapy and education.
Our Pediatric Critical Care Transport Team was among the first two transport teams to earn this distinction from the AARC.
ELSO Gold Level Award of Excellence in Life Support
The Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) awarded University Health the 2020 Gold Award for Excellence in Life Support. University Health scored the highest level in the following categories:
- Promoting the mission of ELSO
- Promoting the vision of ELSO
- Promoting the activities of ELSO
This distinction guarantees that family members on life support benefit from only evidence-based processes.
Gage Award for Teen Health
University Health earned the Gage Award from America’s Essential Hospitals. This award recognizes the excellent care provided by our Adolescent Health program. Through this program, San Antonio teens benefit from:
- Adolescent vaccines like HPV
- STD testing
- Family planning services
- Home visits for teen moms
- As one of only two hospitals nationally to receive this award, University Health strives to provide South Texas teens with the resources they need to make healthy choices
American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
University Health’s cancer programs are accredited by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer. This guarantees that you are always at the center of your cancer care journey.
This accreditation recognizes University Health’s:
- Range of cancer care services
- Ability to accurately diagnose cancer
- Patient-focused treatment options
- Rehabilitation services after treatment
- Commitment to supporting patients during and after treatment
University Health is the only non-military health system in San Antonio to offer the CenteringPregnancy program. We have been approved by the Centering Healthcare Institution to provide this.
CenteringPregnancy brings together 8-10 women with similar due dates to support each other in their pregnancies.
This program includes:
- Prescheduled doctor’s appointments
- Prenatal care from a dedicated provider
- 2 hours to speak with a health care provider at each visit
- One-on-one education about diet, exercise, breastfeeding and more
- Tour of our birthing facilities
Center of Excellence
University Health has been recognized as a Center of Excellence by the following health plans and organizations:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Bridges to Excellence
- Children’s Hospital Association
- Cigna Life Source
- Superior Health Plan Insurance
BEST Award from the Association for Talent Development
In 2020, University Health received the BEST Award from the Association for Talent Development. This award recognizes our employee development programs. Through Learning Central, employees can access courses such as:
- Social media in the health care workplace
- Stages of labor
- Lower back pain in children
- Geriatric health issues
Our employees’ devotion to self-improvement guarantees that you will get the most thoughtful, advanced care in the region.
LearningElite Gold Award
In 2016, University Health earned the LearningElite Gold Award from the Chief Learning Officer Magazine. This award recognizes the high-quality employee development programs available at University Health.
Our employees’ commitment to continued learning and self-improvement ensures that you always get the highest-quality care.
Healthy Workplace Recognition Program – Gold
University Health earned gold-level recognition from the Healthy Workplace Recognition Program of the San Antonio Business Group on Health and the Mayor’s Fitness Council.
This award recognizes University Health’s commitment to improving the health and well-being of its employees.
University Health exhibited:
- Senior management support for wellness programs
- A company culture that encourages health and wellness
- Health education programs available to employees
- Healthy options available in workplace cafeterias and cafes
- Smoking cessation programs available to employees
Construction & Environment
Air Quality Stewardship Award
In 2016, the Air Improvement Resources Committee of the Alamo Area Council of Governments awarded University Health the Air Quality Stewardship Award. This award recognized the hospital’s Sky Tower’s efficient electricity use, which reduced nitrogen oxide emissions.
The Sky Tower also received:
- LEED New Construction v2.2 Gold
- LEED BD+C Certified Gold
LEED Gold Award
University Health has earned the LEED Gold Certification for environmentally friendly design twice – for Robert B. Green and for the Sky Tower.
In 2015, the Sky Tower achieved environmentally friendly design by:
- Reducing potable water use by 30%
- Capturing rain water for irrigation
- Reducing energy costs by 22%
- Ensuring that 95% of on-site construction waste did not go to a landfill
- Using more than 1/3 of recycled construction materials
University Health was named one of the country’s Most Wired health systems by Hospitals & Health Networks Magazine. This means we successfully integrated our IT components into your health experience. You can be sure that your doctors and nurses are using trusted, efficient electronic methods to communicate during your health journey.
This distinction also provides you:
- Improved safety on hospital grounds
- Faster clinical decision-making
- Up-to-date medical information including test results and family history
International Organization for Standardization
University Health is certified by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) – making us the first health care system in the world to achieve this. This standardization ensures quality, safety and efficiency of hospital management.
Associated General Contractors of Texas – Outstanding Construction Awards
In 2014, the University Health Capital Improvement Program earned first place in the large health care project category in the 2014 Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Texas Outstanding Construction awards program.
University Health earned the Esperanza Award from the Hispanic Contractors Association. This award recognizes University Health’s efforts to promote diversity in its planning and execution of construction projects.
Zachry Vaughn Layton, the University Health Capital Improvement Program contractor, also earned recognition for its commitment to diversity on the Sky Tower project.