Lymphedema is caused by a blockage in the lymphatic system. This blockage causes an accumulation of fluid in tissues of the body that results in swelling, most often in the arms and/or legs. The lymphatic system is an essential body system to keep healthy, and your therapist at Reeves Rehabilitation Center will educate you on how to best manage this condition on a long-term basis.
Lymphedema can be caused by:
- Radiation for cancer
- Removal of lymph nodes, generally for cancer
Lymphedema therapy involves:
- Comprehensive assessment and limb measurement
- Treatment plan that can include high frequency of visits over a short period of time
- Specialized bandaging of the affected limb to assist with drainage
- Exercises to assist with drainage
- Manual therapy to assist with drainage
- Patient education
Download the Lymphedema prevention handout.
Medical Center Pavilion, 2nd Floor
Contact us today if you are interested in learning about the Lymphedema Therapy at Reeves Rehabilitation Center.