Labor & Delivery
A Birthing Experience Focused on You
When you’re ready to deliver, you want to know your birthing choices will be respected. At University Health System, our first priority is keeping you and your baby safe during delivery. We also accommodate as many of your birth plan requests as we possibly can.
We honor your wishes and tend to your needs with the world-class medical care only a teaching hospital can provide. When you choose University Hospital for labor and delivery, you can expect a physician to deliver your baby and other experts to support you during labor. You’ll also have access to:
- Immediate pain relief through our in-house anesthesiologist who works only with patients on our women’s floor
- Specially trained nurses who love caring for new mothers and babies
- Private rooms for delivery and recovery
- Operating rooms inside our Labor & Delivery unit for scheduled and emergency Cesarean sections
- Multi-layered security to safeguard your newborn
- Family-centered experience before, during and after your delivery
- Couplet care so your baby can stay by your bedside for early bonding (for births without complications)
- Breastfeeding support and other guidance you may need to care for your baby at home with confidence
- Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit when it’s needed
High-Quality Care for High-Risk Birthing
We provide exceptional medical care for high-risk mothers in South Texas and are a referral center for 21 counties. Our experienced obstetricians and neonatologists use the most advanced approaches to protect the health of you and your infant.
Discover how wonderful your birthing experience can be. Contact us for a special tour of our labor and delivery areas.