As a Texas 10 Step facility, we provide maternity services that support breastfeeding. We support the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation that all infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life and continued for a year as other foods are introduced. We encourage breastfeeding to continue as long as mom and baby both desire.
We know each mom has her own personal breastfeeding goals. We support them and your preferences as a new mom.
We offer a number of services for new moms and moms-to-be:
- Bilingual international board-certified lactation consultants (IBCLCs)
- Breastfeeding classes taught in English and Spanish
- Donor Breast Milk Program
- Individual consultations before and after birth
- Postpartum consultation after discharge
- Private nursing/pumping rooms at University Hospital and Robert B. Green campus
(Women, Infants and Children) peer counselors are at University Hospital once a week for 3 hours to help moms on WIC learn about breastfeeding benefits and sometimes bring pumps for these qualifying moms who are separated from their baby.
Lactation consultants are an important part of our breastfeeding team. They provide breastfeeding education and assistance to you and your family on topics such as:
- Positioning and latch
- Making sure your baby is getting enough milk
- Breastfeeding twins or more
- Using a breast pump
- Breast milk storage guidelines
- Returning to work or school
- Providing breast milk for your premature baby
- Helping with breastfeeding questions or problems