University Hospital is certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association — the highest level of certification available. Comprehensive stroke centers are capable of diagnosing and treating the most complex stroke patients with a wider array of technology and procedures. With our physician partners at UT Health San Antonio, expert care is available rapidly and around the clock when you have symptoms of stroke.
Risk factors for stroke include:
- High blood pressure — the number one cause of stroke
- High cholesterol
- Age — chance of having a stroke nearly doubles every 10 years after age 55
- Gender — stroke is more common in men
- Ethnicity — African-Americans have nearly double the risk for a first-ever stroke than Caucasians and a much higher death rate from stroke
- History of prior stroke
- Heart disease and other heart disorders
- Family history of stroke
Lifesaving & Award-Winning Stroke Care
Seconds count when a stroke hits. That’s why our rapid response stroke team goes into action the minute you arrive at our emergency department. Our multidisciplinary team of experts specializes in stroke care. You can count on the San Antonio area’s best-trained and most experienced neurologists, nurses, radiologists, pharmacists, therapists (physical, occupational and speech) and interventional neurological radiologist immediately providing the highest level of stroke care possible. Results and awards are proof:
- University Hospital rates for using tPA are above the national average, which means more people have been able to take advantage of this time-sensitive treatment.
- Our team meets or exceeds all American Heart Association/American Stroke Association national time standards for lifesaving treatment, including door to tPA, CT, lab, EKG (electrocardiogram) and chest X-ray.
- Our team received the 2015 Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award as part of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With the Guidelines® Stroke program.
- We’re South Texas’ only Magnet hospital system, a designation that means University Health System nurses and staff are the “gold standard” when it comes to providing quality care.
- U.S. News & World Report ranks University Hospital the best hospital in San Antonio.
Comprehensive Stroke Care Means Better Outcomes
Throughout your treatment, rehabilitation and recovery, our stroke team takes advantage of the latest advancements in stroke care. From inpatient acute care, where rehabilitation starts, to inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation at Reeves Rehabilitation Center, our focus is on helping you return to the fullest life possible.