Our Emergency Services Facilities
Fast-Paced Environment, Patient-First Expertise
Doctors and nurses who work in emergency medicine enjoy working in a fast-paced, think-on-your-feet environment. University Hospital’s emergency team members work here because they are incredibly talented and excel in this ever-changing atmosphere. Though our team always moves quickly in the face of every emergency, we’re never too busy to console and reassure you during yours.
You’ll notice this difference at our Emergency Department. You’re always treated with respect and dignity, and offered compassion and concern by our board-certified doctors and experienced nurses.
Emergency Department Designed for Families
You often need family members or loved ones with you when you have an emergency. We know it makes you more comfortable and relaxed. Our Emergency Department was designed with that in mind. We have conveniently located waiting areas so you can have your support team with you as much as you like.
One of the Best ERs in the U.S.
University’s Emergency Department is among the best in the United States. We provide a full spectrum of care and treat more than 70,000 patients each year.
Consider these facts. Our Emergency Department is:
- Part of a Level I Trauma Center – The highest trauma center designation from the American College of Surgeons means we’re a comprehensive regional resource that is central to the trauma system. We serve a 22-county region in South Texas. We’re capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury, with 24-hour in-house coverage by general surgeons and prompt availability of care in many specialties.
- The only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in San Antonio and South Texas. We have 24-hour immediate coverage by general surgeons and other pediatric specialists.
- Has a separate pediatric emergency center dedicated to providing complete care to children from minor to complex injuries and illnesses.
- The only hospital in San Antonio with a 24-hour emergency department dedicated to the special needs of women for obstetrics emergency services and gynecology emergency services.
- We are staffed by board-certified and specialized emergency medicine doctors, advanced practice providers and nurses certified in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS).
- One of only 10 U.S. trauma centers – and the only one in Texas – to participate in the Urgent Matters program focused on improving the flow of patients in increasingly crowded hospital emergency rooms.
Our Doctors Train the Next Generation of Emergency Medicine Doctors
University Health System partners with UT Health San Antonio on an Emergency Medicine Residency Program.
Doctors who have completed medical school complete their residency training with us. Young doctors from around the world train with us and learn from University’s expert emergency medicine doctors and nurses who are working at the highest level of their profession.
We know you want care from the best. Doctors who train the next generation of doctors are the very best. University’s Emergency Department doctors provide your care and teach the brightest young minds in emergency medicine at the same time.