University Health System is the only healthcare organization in Texas to earn Storm Ready status from National Weather Service
South Texas weather is notoriously unpredictable. But University Health System is prepared for anything Mother Nature sends our way — rain or shine. The National Weather Service has recognized University Health System as a StormReady site, the first and only health system in Texas to receive this designation.
The StormReady program helps organizations and communities strengthen their safety programs with the communication and safety skills needed to save lives and property – before and during a weather event. University Health System’s Emergency Management team will receive a special certificate and official StormReady signs for the organization’s facilities Thursday, Dec. 18.
To be recognized as a StormReady site, organizations must:
- Maintain a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center
- Have multiple ways to monitor National Weather Service warnings and to alert the public
- Be able to monitor local weather and flood conditions
- Conduct community preparedness programs
- Ensure hazardous weather and flooding are addressed in formal emergency management plans, which include training SKYWARN weather spotters and holding emergency exercises
University Health System is among 2,200 sites across the country better prepared for severe weather through the StormReady program. The program is part of the National Weather Service's working partnership with the International Association of Emergency Managers and the National Emergency Management Association. The StormReady recognition is valid for three years and can be renewed.
- Meteorologists Paul Yura and Joe Arellano of the National Weather Service forecast office in Austin/San Antonio
- Theresa Scepanski, senior vice president/chief administrative officer, University Health System
- University Health System Emergency Management team
WHAT: University Health System first & only health system in Texas recognized as a StormReady site by National Weather Service
WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 18, 10:30 a.m.
WHERE: University Hospital
4502 Medical Drive (front lobby of University Hospital Sky Tower)
NOTE: Please check in at front lobby information desk.